The YMCA Co-ed Biddy Basketball League serves Auburn, Lewiston, and the surrounding communities by affording boys and girls in grades 1–6 an opportunity to participate in an organized basketball program.
In January 1971 the Biddy Basketball League played its first season with 4 teams and 28 players. Today, Biddy Basketball is a co-ed youth basketball program and the league has grown to an average of 28 teams and 5 travel teams. The program serves over 240 kids annually between skills & drills [Pre-K & K], the Biddy Basketball League [three divisions in grades 1-6], Travel Teams [boys teams and girls teams in grades 3-4 and 5-6], and Hoopsters Basketball [K-1].
BIDDY BASKETBALL LEAGUE
· Rookie Division: Grades 1-2
· Pee Wee Division: Grades 3-4
· Junior Division: Grades 5-6
Registration opens in early October with dates set at the end of the month for divisional player evaluations. Each division will conduct a player evaluation and draft, recognizing individual talent levels in order to provide the best possible scenario for equal play among teams. Team practice once a week with games on the weekends. Typically, a 12-13 game season is played between November and February.
Biddy Basketball League is a program designed to:
1. Instruct the basic fundamentals of basketball.
2. To develop individual skills of dribbling, passing, and shooting within a team atmosphere.
3. To learn and display the YMCA’s core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility through good sportsmanship, teamwork, and fair play.
4. Show proper respect for all officials, coaches, players, and other volunteers.
This league is comprised of kindergarteners [from skills and drills] and 1st graders [from the Rookie division of the Biddy Basketball League] and offers this “extended season” from March to April. A player evaluation will be conducted, followed by a draft, recognizing individual talent levels to provide the best possible scenario for equal play among teams. Teams practice once a week with games on Saturday mornings. Games will be played 4 on 4.
Hoopsters is designed to further develop kids’ skills in the fundamentals of basketball to include dribbling, passing, shooting, and defense in a team environment.
This is an instructional program for boys and girls who are learning the game of basketball. Classes are once a week from 4:15-5:00 and sessions run October to December and then again from January to February.
1. Players will be introduced to the basic skills, fundamentals and rules through skills, drills, and interactive games.
2. To learn and display the YMCA’s core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility through good sportsmanship, teamwork, and fair play.
3. Show proper respect for all coaches, players, and volunteers.
There’s a Y in everyFamily. Join ours today!
Discounts are not based on the participation of one or more children. We do offer financial assistance for qualifying families *No one is turned away for the inability to pay.
For more information about our Youth Basketball Program, please contact Christopher Shea Executive Director of Youth Sports at firstname.lastname@example.org or 795-4095 ex. 206.